SAML 2.0 is a method of single sign-on SSO authentication. It allows enterprises to manage users in external software using internal identity pools and services. SSO is a common means of connecting users with software as a service solutions. MailSlurp provides SAML SSO email accounts that can be integrated with many existing identity providesr.
What is an IdP identity provider
If you are an admin for an organization and want to integrate external apps or software into your workplace then an IdP is a service you use to manage your organization users. Examples include Microsoft Active Directory, Okta, OnePass, 0Auth and more.\
What is SAML
TCP protocols such as LDAP and SAML 2.0 are used to make a connection between an IdP and a service provider or SP. Service providers are the external apps like Slack, Gmail etc that you want to grant your team access to. The typical process is as follows:
- Administrator of IdP organization adds a new app SAML 2.0 integration
- IdP issues an entrypoint, certificate, issuer, and metadata for the integration
- Administrator takes the data above and enter it into an external application's single sign on settings
- Admin adds users to an application using the IdP.
- Users receive invites to an external application and can
Identity providers compared
SAML was released in 2003 and has grown to become a standard for enterprise login (as well as OIDC). There are many identity providers to choose from. Let us compare them.
Microsoft active directory
A large incumbent in the IdP space is Microsoft/Azure active directory. Many big organizations use Microsoft tools to manage user groups and organization units.